Go Linux!

Go Linux!

What My Average Day Is Actually Like

2/29/2009

People have been repeatedly asking me, “how do you manage your time, with both your work and your family?” and “is life different now that you’re famous?” and similar things. The thing is, I don’t actually have a regular workday or do much actual work.

For me, “work” means essentially just sitting at my computer at 9:30 PM and looking at email after email to see if there’s any code or anything else that’s important. In the rare case that someone sends me some code for Linux, I don’t actually put it in Linux, I just either approve it or email them back with edits, like “you should probably do this like that, but this thing is fine”, etc. You see, I don’t actually write much code of my own, I just edit and put together what other people write for me. This makes my workday not a typical 9-to-5 workday like most people’s. Also, Tove does all of the staying home and doing chores and taking care of the kids, which is a huge help.


I also read a lot. Occasionally it’s serious stuff, mostly about psychology and biology and the like, but most often it’s just bulk fiction, sci-fi and fantasy. No, I do not live like a celebrity or enjoy much of “the high life” like most people with my level of recognition do. I’m not humble or anything, it’s just that I’m not into money (although it has its advantages) or becoming a visionary or attracting crowds. I just wanted to code and to make an operating system that suited me. I don’t work on Linux for money or for the warm, fuzzy feeling I get from not working for money. I just code because coding is fun for me. That’s it.🐧

No comments:

Post a Comment