Go Linux!

Go Linux!

I'm Moving To California

7/17/1997

As some of you have probably already found out, I am leaving my home in Finland and moving to the place where practically all the computer science happens: Silicon Valley. 

Why? Well, I have a few reasons. First of all, I’m a programmer, and a reasonably successful one at that, and if you’re at least a somewhat successful programmer, you probably should at least visit Silicon Valley, if not move there. Second, I want to try living in a new climate. California doesn’t have the long, dark, cold winters of Finland and I kind of want to see what it’s like in a warmer, brighter place. Also, I want to actually start doing some real work. I will now be working at Transmeta Corporation, a semiconductor company in Santa Clara. And yes, the company is funded by Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft. I am not trying to switch loyalties and become a traitor of the open-source movement, as some of you might think. (I should probably stop making assumptions about what you guys will think, but still.) I am merely going to work at a semiconductor company founded by Paul Allen.


Also, on the Microsoft note: Many of you have been idolizing me and representing me as the David about to slay the “evil” Bill Gates. While I do enjoy the praise, I am_not_the selfless, altruistic, completely ego-less person I am being represented as. I also have no objections to Microsoft being rich and popular and bureaucratic, all I have against Microsoft is that they make really bad operating systems. (They do!) Anyways, the next time you’ll see me post, I’ll be in America - People have described how different America is, and I’m not sure what to expect, but I’ll tell you what I like and dislike when I’m there.😜

No comments:

Post a Comment